• Having trouble getting your confirmation email? Please check your email's SPAM folder.

How long do I have to file a claim? And should I?

Evi

Oct 30, 2023
I had a storm roll through my area this summer, right after we purchased a new house. I haven't had anyone up to look yet, but everyone in my area seems to be getting new roofs. I suppose I have a two part question.

1. How long do I have to get someone out to look and potentially file a claim?
2. I hear that a lot of roofing companies will get claims pushed through when there's hail damage to shingles but no structural damage and it seems to be controversial. If the insurance company would cover it, why wouldn't I want to get it taken care of?

Reactions: Claimworx
My primary experience lies in field underwriting and insurance policy sales, so it's likely that a more informed response can be provided by one of the adjusters

Regarding the timing of your claim, please note that you generally have up to a year to file, but this timeline can vary based on your policy and state regulations.

A prudent starting point before approaching your insurance company for a claim is to have a professional, like a roofer, inspect your roof. Most roofing estimates are complimentary, and they can promptly assess whether hail damage exists.

It's important to be aware that submitting insurance claims can have repercussions that are seldom discussed. For a more in-depth exploration of this topic, you may find this article informative:

Can Filing a Property or Auto Insurance Claim Have Consequences for Your Insurability and Premium?

Last edited:
Reactions: Evi
Upvote 0
I had a storm roll through my area this summer, right after we purchased a new house. I haven't had anyone up to look yet, but everyone in my area seems to be getting new roofs. I suppose I have a two part question.

1. How long do I have to get someone out to look and potentially file a claim?
2. I hear that a lot of roofing companies will get claims pushed through when there's hail damage to shingles but no structural damage and it seems to be controversial. If the insurance company would cover it, why wouldn't I want to get it taken care of?

Each policy is different on how long you have to file a claim. Most are writhin a year for storm damage. I would check your policy to see what it says under “ duties after a loss”.

I would definitely get it looked at by a local roofer. There are many factors that play a part in getting the roof replaced. Most roofers that do insurance type work will know if you have enough damage to file a claim.

Upvote 0

Got a complaint?

Did your insurance professional not meet your expectations? Rank them!

Submit A Company Complaint