• Having trouble getting your confirmation email? Please check your email's SPAM folder.

Can they require receipts?

Chad T

Oct 11, 2023
9 months ago my home was broken into and the intruders stole some of my stuff and smashed my safe. Stolen items included a nice camera, vintage sports cards, all of my power tools (quite a bit), cologne, electronics and some coins. I immediately called the police, filed a report and that’s it. I was informed later that my homeowners would cover this so I called my agent and they had me file a claim. My health took a massive dive (it was already a struggle) only weeks after my claim was filed and I started getting emails from an adjuster and then an attorney demanding receipts for all of the items stolen. I don’t have them and I was not informed in my policy or elsewhere that receipts would be required to be covered. I did provide pictures of the boxes for more than a dozen power tools as well as detailed pics of my sports cards (not covered), the serial number for the max computer stolen, the name of a couple of people I bought things from and more. I was still very sick (cardiac) when they demanded I come to the office for an interrogation of some type with a court reporter on hand. I complied and they asked me item for item if I had a receipt for it and where/when I had acquired said item. It has now been over three months since that interrogation. I provided contact names and numbers for people who I had purchased items from but they did not contact any of them. Forward to now, my health is nearing 100%, I’m no longer in a health fog and I’m pissed and ready to fight these people that pushed me around when I was my weakest. How can I get them to pay when they say I need receipts and there are none. I swear that at one time it was hinted that I find or create receipts but I will not commit fraud for anyone, especially to satisfy what I think is a crooked company. What do I do?

Reactions: Indemnity Defender
I hope that your health is doing well. However I am sorry that the insurance company is trying to delay discourage and deny your claim. A lot of the times they try to task you with things to do to discourage you from filing or pursuing a legitimate claim. It is not your responsibility to investigate their claim. If you have the receipts then yes you are supposed to produce them if you do not it is their responsibility to seek out the items and to price them. In a contents type claim you do have to do quite a bit of the participation since they have no idea what was stolen. I would keep sending them list and keep demanding that they investigate this claim and start asking them to pay you money. Don't be afraid to stand up and to tell them that you simply do not have some of the items that they are requesting. Many people think that they have to answer all of the questions. You do just answer most of them with I don't know or I don't have those

You might also review your policy and the Special Limits section. The special limits should be indicated in you policy jacket. It should explain that some personal property is subject to lower limits. Money, Coins, Jewelry, Electronics, etc. are typically listed in this section oft the policy. Sometimes coverage for some of these items can be added by endorsement which the company would charge you extra and add an extra policy form indicating more coverage. Knowing how much you should be paid might help when communicating with the adjuster. Glad you are feeling better!

Got a complaint?

Did your insurance professional not meet your expectations? Rank them!

Submit A Company Complaint